Monday, June 9, 2008

Walking in the Will of God

Morning all,
I loved talking with you all.  I hope what scripture had to teach yesterday revealed something to you.  I know that every time I teach I learn so much, scripture convicts my heart and pushes me to change.  
I was sorting through some old books I've had for years looking for some resources and I stumbled on this little poem.  Before I type it's contents let me explain why this poem was so meaningful to me.  When Patti, my wife, and I first started dating my parents objected saying she wasn't for me.  They come from the school that says God only chooses one person for you, and that God had told them that Patti was not the one for me.  Well, I was in love, madly in love with her and I felt in my soul that she was the one for me.  This was my freshman year of college and my parents wanted me to come home for the summer, they were in Ohio and I was in Chicago.  Of course I wanted to stay in Chicago, the coolest city in the world, but submitted to their request of coming home.  This meant I was heading right into the lions den and worst of all I was separated from Patti.
That summer was the worst summer of my life, I cannot find the words or the punctuation to communicate this to you.  I spent hours in a room with my parents while they would grill me.  The conversations usually dealt with me not submitting to them in the area of my relationship with Patti, and being a prodigal.  In the midst of this intense persecution, even though I knew they loved me and wanted to best for me, Patti sent me this poem.  
The reason for giving you this poem is that some of you might be in this phase of life where you feel "under it all" and want to give up.  Some of you have been perusing things you believe God wants you to do, and yet it's not working out the way you expected.  The conversations you have with God are frustrating and confusing.  Be confident of this, God is there and listening.  Be patient and continue to fall back on God as you risk and move.  Remember that it's through Christ that we become who we need to be, not by our own doing.  So, I hope this encourages you heart.

Walking in the Will of God

Though storms may rage and winds may blow,
I need not be cast down or awed;
Because it calms my soul to know
I'm walking in the will of God.

Although my path be dark as night,
And often fails the chastening rod;
I'm glad I walk by faith, not sight,
When walking in the will of God.

I know, whene'er I backward gaze
Upon the road that I have trod,
The sweetest way to spend one's days
Is walking in the will of God.

So, though the way be hard and long,
O'er mountain steep and vally broad,
I'll face the future with a song,
When walking in the will of God.

-Margaret K. Frazer-

 My wife, then my girlfriend, writes on the back:

When you get discouraged, keep looking at this poem.  It's a great reminder of the importance of our need to be walking in the will of God.

Hang in there Jeffy, His will, will bring strength when you obey.  Keep trusting and putting him first and he will bless you,  just has he has blessed our relationship over and over again.

I love you- P.L.

Sometimes the simplest of poems and the simplest of notes can bring to our attention some of the most profound truths.  

love you all,
jeff

7 comments:

suzie said...

Jeff, thank you for sharing that encouraging poem. We can always feel safe and secure if we are in the Will of God!!
Your message yesterday hit "home". God gives us the strength and power to move and take risks but it is our job to have faith and trust in Him.

Suzie

Anonymous said...

Excellent poem and blog post Jeff! Definitely a good thing for all of us to hear.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jeff!

It's good to hear reinforcement that sometimes parent's don't always have the best plans for their children, haha.

Anyways, one thing I wanted to point out, especially in relation to the past couple posts/comments/concerns---sometimes I think it's good for us to rejoice in our dissatisfaction. If we are dissatisfied, we have not yet become complacent or apathetic, which is the danger of all dangers. Dissatisfaction is a great impetus to achieve and pursue, so long as we have faith, hope, and "learn to be content in every situation" along the way. Imagine if we all were satisfied with life----but at the sake of living a life of mediocrity, sub-par to what God has in-store for us! Surely God allows a certain amount of dissatisfaction because he created us to constantly move and pursue. So long as we don't confuse being dissatisfied with being disgruntled---God calls us to appreciate every blessing. Being disgruntled or disenchanted with life is just a matter of an attitude adjustment.

Where I have found myself tripped up lately is where exactly the element of choice figures in with God's plan. This is the 64 thousand dollar question, I'm sure, and I don't think the answer is so mutually exclusive as our limited minds would like to think. I think we've been too long deceived into believing that all we have to do is sit back and relax, and God will deliver everything to our doorstep eventually. But when you're pursuing your dreams, dreams that God has clearly revealed were put there by Him, do you pursue every single avenue available--exhaust every option--regardless of whether or not you feel excited, led or inspired by it? I suppose this is where the element of prayer figures in deeply...Thoughts?

Best regards---and also, you are pretty much a legend in my house, thanks to hearing my little sister's long-winded recaps of everything you say and do, keep up the good work, those kids love ya!

Heather

Trip Tannen said...

That was a very nice poem. The message you spoke on sunday was really truthful and i really enjoyed it.

lynn said...

This poem, as well as the message you gave this Sunday, are huge encouragements for me. My family and I are living on the other side of risk and have been for the last year. I felt the call from God to leave my hometown and come to AZ. I was not sure what God had in mind, but My husband and I obeyed. Though I've had a very tough life, I can honestly say that this has been the most terrifying, exhausting year ever. It has also been the most blessed and satisfying. I would not trade seeing Gods face or hearing His voice for all of the material comfort in this world. Some amazing things have happened since we submitted to Gods will. My husband, who is not a believer, found Cornerstone for the family and has been attending regularly! My son, Tyler, just began Momentum and is thrilled to be there, and I am getting involved in the Joshua Project. There are so many more blessings that we have witnessed over the last year: I wish I had time to share them all.

Anonymous said...

As I sit here tonight and ponder all the risks I have to face now... i wonder when the comfort of God will come...

It's been six weeks since my husband decided he "just didn't want to be married" and left me. Yes, there is another woman involved, but his real reason is that he "just doesn't want to do the marriage thing anymore." He quit "doing the Christian thing" a long time ago too. Now I am faced with all kinds of risks.

The risk of how to pay the rent, or how to pay the car payment or how to feed myself and my son and puit gas in my car so I can get to work. I am faced with the realities of divorce. i am faced with the risk of choosing the right attorney. The risk of wondering if he will agree to pay me the amount of alimony i will need just to survive.

i am faced with the risk of just going to church by myself now... Of learning how to worship in spite of heartbreak.

Life is full of risks and the only way we know God better is by taking risks??? To tell you the truth, I would like to be secure right now. I would like to just know I can stop and breathe for a little while. To stop and know that He is God... if only I could just stop...

"Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and quaked. Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen."

The way is through and going through requires risk, yes, but also courage. And sometimes courage is hard pressed to be found. Sometimes all a person can do is get up, get dressed, and breathe in and out... I can't think about taking risks right now FOR God, I have to focus on my daily bread, this is all I can muster the courage for right now...

lynn said...

Jenna, sometimes the biggest risk God asks us to take is to wake up in the morning and in doing that, you display an enormous amount of courage.