Hey Bob,
I think you make a very good point. satisfaction is such a superficial ideal, it means a tons of different things to a lot of different people. The Bible has a tendency to say things we don't expect because often it speaks in the supernatural and we reside in the superficial.
For instance, James 1:2-4 talks about the idea that how we deal with pain, and struggle will show the kind of joy we will have as a result of faith and endurance. Well, that is different then what our world describes as joy. If you have all the money, fame, and glory we will be happy and SATISFIED.....wrong. It's only through the struggle of working out, training, dieting, and endurance through the race that a runner gets to experience the joy and satisfaction of the finish line. It is not because he got a new pair of shoes, a cool outfit, and lot of gator aid. The race meant something to him or her because of the sacrifice.
Complacency will never equal the supernatural joy that Christ gives. I'm a "stuff" kinda guy. I like getting anything in the mail, it makes me have a glimpse of earthly joy, but in the end I still end up wanting more. The joy and satisfaction that Christ give through the Holy Spirit is like the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:1-15. You feel full, you may not have a lot of what our world says you need, and yet your full. As a result of feeling full, you have joy. As a result of having a fulfilling joy, you are truly satisfied.
In Acts 5:41 we see something else very puzzling. We see these believers in Christ getting beat because they are proclaiming the message of Jesus, and they rejoice in it. What....? That doesn't fit into our context today and I believe it's because we have believers that think that when things are going good that means God is happy with them. When they are successful, and stress free then God is pleased with them. Then something tragic happens and their faith falls apart. What does that say about the Faith we have in our God?
I believe the only way to survive in this world as it relates to joy and being satisfied, is to see a Biblical view of what these two things are. When we look at Biblical examples of men and women stepping out in faith, we see joy, and fulfillment. Because at the end of the day they can say it was Christ in me, and Christ for me.
I have rambled of for paragraphs and i could do hours more of writing on this subject, but i hope that i answered your questions, if not hit me back and tell me.
Thanks for the question,
Jeff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Joy/Jeff-
Thank you for the responses. They are encouraging.
I guess my real question might be is "How do we maintain our joy when things aren't going as well as we'd hoped?"
or maybe, "I'm tired of running this race, why can't I seem to catch my stride?"
or, "Am I in the right race?"
How do we choose the right race? How do you know you've chosen the right one?
My faith is strong. I know God is in control. I know Jesus is my Savior. I have no doubts. But I'm still struggling with which race I should be running.
Just 'cause I'm in a mood..he's another question: "Are Joy and Happiness related, sympathetic with one another or are they mutually exclusive?" =)
I really don't want to hog the blog but I hope to learn a few things and maybe stimulate more input and thought from the other members of our church.
If you're reading this (I am not addressing Jeff) please comment/add something to the discussion.
Thanks again Jeff & Joy.
Blessings!
Great Sermon today Jeff,
I have started moving and taking steps but need your prayers and support of other members who may share my vision.
My name is James Carrillo I am Chandler resident and a member at Cornerstone which has brought me closer to God than I thought was possible. My move to AZ from Cali in 2004 has completely changed my life from one of serving myself and my job to one of serving Christ, my Family and now future generations.
My passion is to reach the next generation avoid (as best possible) the pitfalls of living of this world and let them know at the earliest age that they are loved and there is a better way through Him, that the bible is life's instruction manual and most of us try to live life without reading or understanding the instruction manual first.
Again my passion is youth through young adults and I have adopted 1Timothy 4:12 as my sites mission verse. I have spent the past 1 1/2 years developing two websites to give todays youth an Escape from this world and let them know they are not alone, it is cool to be a Christian and they have support out there in Christ's love, in todays music, in entertainment and in friendships with others who are equally yoked.
My desire is to give them a place to shine in His glory and spread the word to others.
I am needing some support not financially because I have been blessed as I have moved forward with this project. I need your prayers and any help from Cornerstone members who may be webmasters, promoters, spiritually gifted writers who also have a passion to help save our future generations.
The sites are 90% complete and it is youth ministry, all genres of bands, artists, speakers, youth groups, concerts, blogs, social networks, churches, venues, gathering places, videos, podcasts and far more. A place to be able to geographically locate a church, youth group and get help from local youth pastors, find a church, find local events, shows etc. It is very detailed and I am one man (along with my wife) who is now in need of others who have some knowledge in areas outside of mine to make this project come alive.
I would love these sites to become part of Cornerstone and would love to work with others at Cornerstone to share my vision.
The sites will be live soon at www.myescapenet.com, www.myescapemusic.com which also will be linked through www.xtremefaithgeneration.com and www.purityrock.com. This has been something I have poured my heart, hard work and personal finances into this, I didn't do it for financial gain but to lead others who have faith at a young age to shine His light and hopefully lead others to His truth.
In His Grip,
James
Jeff and Cornerstone Members,
One more thing, I also have a MySpace although truthfully I do not approve of MySpace due to temptation and content. But in an effort to reach the lost and give them a place to locate Christian acts and friends of faith. If you read the blogs etc. You will get a better idea of where I am trying to go with MyEscapeNet.
www.myspace.com/myescapenetcom
In His Grip,
James
1Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
Hi Jeff,
I wanted to share an exciting way God worked in my life. There is MUCH more to this story and God's leading than this, but this is perhaps the most interesting and exciting part of the story...(and its still a bit on the long side).
I was riding my bicycle to each of the 48 contiguous United States and was approaching downtown Philadelphia. In some suburbs there is 'grafitti art' on many walls that is very well done and very tasteful. As I rode into town, however, the 'art' became less tasteful and much more gang-styled and crude.
I was somewhat concerned as I was riding self-contained and entering territory where I knew nobody and had never been anywhere even close to before in my life. I had been in LA, CA at the end of the first 7,000 miles of my trip looking for work to be able to continue on the second part. My bike and all my belonging were stolen and I flew into Phoenix with just the shirt on my back. God is good, and my friend's church family took me in and heloed me out. I managed to find a job, a place to live, replace my bike and gear and save up enough money to do the second half.
So, with the stolen bike weighing heavily on my mind I was walking my bike on a sidewalk near the Liberty bell in the heart of Philadelphia. Somehow, I saw a simple message that not only eased my mind about where I was, but spoke directly to my heart about my going to NY City. "Trust Jesus" was written on the top of a garbage can. How simple - how true! I knew right then that going to NY City would be no problem.
Fast forward a little bit and when I arrive in New York, I rode up from the ferry among huge buildings and felt as though I was in Chicago (a sense of calm to one who grew up near there). I came to a "T" intersectino that ended at a one-way street that went the opposite direction from where I needed to go.
I stood debating in my mind whether to go up the sidewalk or take a chance going the other way and hoping to find a corresponding one-way in the direction I wanted. A man calls over and asks me where I'm from. Now, I have to think "Do I talk to someone from New York or keep going?" I tell him I'm from Wisconsin and he says, "I'm from Brookfield!" I did the classic double-take as all-of-a-sudden this guy becomes recognizable as someone I had gone to highschool with!!
'Joe Merencic!' I say and now he has to do a double-take and try to figure out if he knows me. It took him a while to remember me, as he was more of a sports person and I was not really into sports much, but we had been to a couple classes together.
Turns out the very first person I speak with in New York is from my home town and looking to join an order of the Catholic Church in which he would take a vow of chastity and poverty. I spent the day with him and he put me up for the night. "Trust Jesus" indeed!!
Of course, the reason I am here in the Valley now is bacause I had spent the winter here on that trip. And that was because my bike had been stolen and I couldn't find work in LA. And the reason for taking the trip in the first place was because a firend and I had toured on bikes for a couple weeks in Wisconsin. The reason for that was because I couldn't work that summer, as I had been hit by a car while on a bicycle the last day of school my sophmore year in college....All things - good and bad - work together for good! God is good!!
Jeff-
Your sermon tonight was just about exactly what I needed to hear. You points were on target. I need to shed the box and turn off my PDA. I will look to see where my talents can be utilized with less of an eye on how it fits into my schedule and how I can fit into the situation.
Blessings!
Bob=
Your question is thought provoking. I think as a society we define happiness materialistically. This morning on the news the following question was posed: "What is the American Dream?". Everyone who responded did so with reference to things: money, big homes, etc. I think it is sad that as a society we define the American Dream in this way.
I have three teenagers and we struggle with this all of the time---they want more "stuff". Joy is internal, and can not be defined materialistically, I think. True happiness can be the same. Unfortunately, we battle the societal definition daily---happiness is stuff.
If you remove the "stuff", then you strip away the distraction, and seek something different. Joy that comes from within can only come from YOU and from your faith in Him. Think about this...when is the last time you saw a commercial for God and Faith? They are rare if not non-existent.
We as Believers must create excitement for His message, and in doing so, we will help others redefine happiness.
Hmmm...what would a commercial for true Joy look like?
Post a Comment