Thursday, October 2, 2008

Be Proactive

I was talking with some guys while playing golf yesterday and this reality struck me: When we want God to answer prayer for us we want it now, but when it comes to us living in obedience we ask God to be patient. Now I realize that we serve a very patient God, but this seems hypocritical.
We all reside in a market that is hurting, people are losing their jobs and their security. We humans are asking God to save us...to help us, and yet we are not being proactive. Here's an example: many of us are asking God to help us with our financial situation and we bought a house we couldn't afford, drive around a car that we can't afford, and are swiping our credit cards on anything that moves. We then look to heaven and ask God for a bail out plan, oh God......and I need it now. This is beyond me, "God I'm going to do what i want to do and disobey you, but God when I'm hurting as a result of these decisions I need you to work your magic fast."
Romans 6:1 drops the bomb when Paul say "should we sin more since grace abounds....may it never be!" So lets all make the change, lets begin to stop insulting the God of the universe with our petty talk, and fall on the throne of his mercy. Lets be proactive when we pray, "God I know I have sinned, but I want to follow you, and be obedient to what you have called me to do. Lord I need help here, but I am going to work my butt off, and would you answer my pray as a result of me submitting to your will and not my own. Oh... and God I know I got myself here, so if you don't bail me out, I get it, and am so grateful for your mercy and patience with me."

3 comments:

Eli said...

so good man! how beautiful and humbling is it when we become in total agreement with God! reminds me of when God tells Abraham to look at the stars and tells him that thats how many kids he'll have! lol i miss you heaps mate... much love brother!!

Trudy said...

Jeff - I totally loved that entry!! So true and great job saying it!!

Ryan said...

That's totally what I meant when I told you that I have been learning a lot about patience. I told you also that I really try NOT to ask God for anything that I want but instead I ask Him that I would want what He wants for me. I am one of those people who got yself into a financial bind in the last few years and now find myself dodging collectors until I am able to take care of my responsibilities. I know I am the one who got myself in the hole but I still pray for God not to just take away my problems but to help me become the person I need to be to take care of my problems myself. That way I can better reflect how God is present in my life, by doing what seems imposssible with very little. I guess that's kid of like David taking on Goliath with his five little stones and his sling. I will beat the giant and it will be all because of God. Good blog Jeff. I'm glad you posted again. I've been waiting.